Thursday, March 02, 2006

Do you know your rights?

Oh the terror. Not because of the video showing that President Bush was fully aware and appraised of the potential problem that Hurricane Katrina presented. That is a post for another time. Soon. No I am shocked, and appalled by another thought altogether. I have often mentioned my willingness to support this nation, and the Constitution and Amendments, with my life were it to have been necessary. This belief that America is the greatest nation in the world is held by many of my family members and friends. Millions of Americans feel, in the least, a similar passion for our nation yet I often wonder how many are aware of what this nation stands for.

A reason for my question is in part due to a recent poll. While this poll by the McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum is far to small to be a fair representation, my experiences in L.A., New York City, Washington D.C., Chicago and Jacksonville Florida among many other places, have lead me to think it is more accurate than it may seem at first glance. Astoundingly few people know 5 freedoms ensured by the Constitution and Amendments. Even worse is what it is that citizens believe are rights.

This isn’t as funny as I wish it were. Take a moment and tell yourself what rights are stated in the Constitution. Reflect for a moment on the last time you read either the Constitution or the Amendments.

Profession, income, Black African American, White, Hispanic, creed, etc. are all irrelevant when it comes done to this question - What rights are you guaranteed and the government obligated to protect for you? If you can’t name 5 then you better go and check my Black Entertainment Blog.com - references.

I can’t understand how the Simpson’s or judges on American Idol are more prevalent in the minds of American than their rights. Or that citizens can’t differentiate between an essential right like freedom to follow a religion or the freedom to assemble [like at a strike or a rally - in other nations, such as China, doing this can get you shot or jailed for decades] as opposed to a privilege like driving or the option to own a pet. That anyone would confuse the “taking the 5th” with the First Amendment. That’s not funny that’s criminal in my opinion. It implies both a lack of knowledge and apathy for the actual rights that the world envies us having.

I’ve spoken about education (Education for Americans: Black White and everyone), history (History in America), words (More old thoughts), and politics (Commenting on Sen. Hillary Clinton's Dr. Martin Luther King Day speech among many others) with the thought that most understood the core of what makes this nation different and those subjects essential. Polls such as the above leave me dejected, leave America looking like a buffoon and encourage individuals like Osama bin Laden that they can defeat our way of life, or so it seems in my eyes.

If you do not know what you have it is 1000x easier for anyone to take it from you. If you don’t know what you are fighting for you will lose. If you don’t understand what the government is obligated on, you will allow it to abstain.

This is what I think, what do you think.



Ask for ad rates

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates