Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Update on some Presidential candidates on the web - 9.18.2007.1

Well the Presidential candidates continue to bring up some of the most interesting items in blogs and news stories as we approach the primary votes. From comparisons to Hugo Chavez, to reports of web activity, to MoveOn.org. And we still see that most of the nation is very divided on what the future will bring. The issues for the next President of America are widespread and intense.

We are seeing that the internet is being used by more people to discuss more fringe opinions than were ever known to exist by the mainstream before. Probably one of the now best known fringe groups would be MoveOn.org. Not only has this organization come into the full light of public attention, they have made an impact. Perhaps not the intended on though. The vile attack against Gen. Petraeus offended every veteran, military members and family that I know of. Many have come to question the Democratic Party and the presidential candidates that have refused to denounce the ad.

Whether it’s connected or not, we now can see a sites that questions some of the social views of Sen. Hilary Clinton are being compared to Hugo Chavez.

Quick, take a shot as guessing who said this: “Society cannot allow the private sector to do whatever it wants…”
If you said Hillary Clinton, I can’t blame you. That was my first impulse, too, …


"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you," Sen. Clinton said. "We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."


Surprising comparison. One that you might expect MoveOn to make and defend. But they seem quite busy right now trying to claim yet another American figure is a betrayer. Having failed with the first target and ads with this phrasing, MoveOn has now targeted Rudy Giuliani as betraying Americans. The latest set of ads target is work with the 9/11 commission, and ignore his work on 9/11 and the weeks afterwards. But none have ever said MoveOn is good at making any point other than they represent a fringe of America, and due to the backing of billionaire George Soros they can get any ill-conceived message out to the masses.

Avoiding all this drama has been Fred Thompson. New to the race, officially, he has done quite well. The most recent results from Hitwise state that Thompson leads all candidates with views of his website din the last week. His lead is not shabby either, with more than double the second place candidate, Sen. Barack Obama. I will say that the site is very well designed.

So with all the activity on the internet, and still months to go, where do you fit in? Do you have a candidate you agree with? Do you understand the platforms the various candidates support?

If you don’t remember one thing. One of these candidates will be the next President. Know who you are voting for, and what they stand for. Understand who supports them. Otherwise you may be very surprised, at least, by what you get during their presidency.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,



Ask for ad rates

1 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, September 18, 2007 , Blogger M. Vass said...

Jimmie,

First I’m glad you responded and I thank you for reading this blog.

As for your quote, and comments on your blog, I wish to clarify myself. I did NOT intend to compare your words with anything to do with Moveon.org. The implication simply is the bad wording I made in trying to express what I did mean.

What I intended to mean was that various websites, like your own, have begun to question Sen. Clinton which is something we have not seen as much prior to the MoveOn.org ad. I wanted to highlight that views, less heard on the net, are becoming more vocal on both sides.

I obviously disagree with what MoveOn did. It personally offends me, as a former military man with family that also served in the military, as well as just an American.

When I say that it was something I would expect MoveOn to defend, I meant that the statement of Sen. Clinton was what they would defend. I believe that MoveOn would agree with Hugo Chavez, and Sen. Clinton’s “government-first solutions” as you mentioned.

My surprise was that there were other vocal bloggers also noting this distinction. In my reading of many blogs, I have seen few who raise this comparison, and often they are shouted down vigorously. I am not attempting to do so, nor do I wish to.

I agree that the statements by Clinton stand for themselves. I further agree that they are similar to Chavez. Moreso I feel that this is directly in line with the motives and ideology of MoveOn. To highlight these things is important, and that was my intention of using your words.

I feel strongly that all Americans should be aware of the views each of the candidates have. I am happy to mention websites, like yours, that point out the positions that candidates hold, and not merely the soundbites reported by the major news media. To point out these positions is a positive; and necessary as the next President will have an enourmous impact on the nation for perhaps decades to come.

I apologize for misrepresenting your views and words. That is never my intention and I want to make that strongly understood. I hope this response does clarify that.

Michael Vass.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates