Thursday, April 24, 2008

An ev ening of politics and words in Binghamton New York

I had the most interesting experience the other day. This experience leads me to ask a few questions. The first is whether the age of a Black person in any way influences their ability and/or propensity to use the N-word? The second is what rule or unspoken law mandates that African Americans must vote for a Democratic candidate?

What happened is that I was out having a drink with friends. Now realize that I am in Binghamton, an area with approximately 3% Black population. So when a White guy came up to me and started to have a conversation, that I wasn’t really paying attention to, that somehow hit on the fact that he would not use the N-word – but his Black friend would – I wasn’t too shocked. Out here I often hear random Whites discuss with me how they feel about racial issues, and invariably they have a need to impress upon me the fact that they are not racists.

Of course I stated my position. That the N-word is a vile word and no one of any race has a right or need to use this term. And at that moment his Black friend, who I will call Eric, popped up and mentioned that I was wrong. Eric’s assertion was that he had every right to use the N-word, because he is Black. When I said I am no less so and disagree, he was put off. He then felt the need to try to set me in place by letting me know he was 43 and born in 1964. To this I informed him that I was 40, born in ’68, and saw no way that age applied.

Now in my eyes there is no way to justify the use of this term. Those of us born during the Civil Rights Movement never endured any of the hardship of those few that were in the Marches and having sit-ins. That is not to say that the 70’s and early 80’s were without incident (or even today). But I don’t compare it to the 1920’s or 1950’s. So being in the 40’s has no meaning to me. Of course someone alive from 1865 would have a better argument, as would anyone in their 80’s. The first because of experience, the second because of due respect for their age.

Am I wrong? Does the meaning of this vile word change at all when spoke by someone with a darker skin than a lighter one? To me there is no difference in being punched by a person with darker or lighter skin, so there is no difference in the use of this word.

Now a bit later in the evening, Eric was leaving and felt the need to walk over to me. There were 3 Black people in this bar and that was a lot. Though Eric made on effort to speak with the Black woman that was there. His comment was

“Hey fellow Black man, you have a good night. And did you vote?”

When I mentioned yes I was asked if it was for Senator Obama. I did not. I was asked if it was for Senator Clinton, with a bit of surprise and disapproval. I did not. He then asked with more than a bit of incredulity “Senator McCain?”

Yes I did.

This then lead to the question of why I did so. My response was why shouldn’t I. I was then told that he was a Republican. When I bypassed that obvious fact and asked why I should vote for a Democrat Eric then proceeded to inform me that he is 43, a homeowner, a business owner, and formerly worked as a senior executive. When I reminded him of my age, and mentioned that my casual attire did not reflect my personal success, he agreed that we both did were not reflecting our success in our attire that moment.

Again I pressed the question of what Democrats have done for the nation and African Americans in the past 20 or even 40 years? I was then told that I was deluded, sold-out, and without common sense. Eric then walked away.

At no point was I given a reason why I should vote for a Democrat. The unspoken comment was that since I was Black I owe Senator Obama a vote, as well as any Democrat. Now I am 40, a business owner, soon to be a homeowner, successful in my current and prior careers for over 2 decades. None of either of our personal successes were derived from anything other than our own drive and actions. So where is the reason to change my vote?

I hate when anyone presumes or attempts to belittle my reasons for doing something, based solely on my skin color. Especially when they don’t have any counter-reasoning for me. Had Eric tried to ask me a question or give me a reason I could have discussed this with him. As you my readers know, I’m hardly a novice in covering the political environment.

So am I wrong? Do I owe Senator Obama my vote? Is being Black an obligation to vote one way or another? If so why?

I really want to hear the other side of this. The side that Eric was too busy trying to obscure with his personal successes to bother to credibly offer.

Labels: , , ,



Ask for ad rates

2 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, May 08, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Mike. I like your new site. I was thinking about our conversation over at Sidelines the other night and thought I'd check out your site for some of your recent discussions. This one reminded me of that night, hope I inspired!

Your comment "Out here I often hear random Whites discuss with me how they feel about racial issues, and invariably they have a need to impress upon me the fact that they are not racists." That is an interesting statement. I was reading an article about how white people will often say like 'my black friend' or 'my black brother-in-law'; making it a point to bring the racial side in.

I was at a bar last summer and had a conversation with a couple guys there when getting my drink. I came back to my group and was talking about something that was mentioned in the conversation and this kid with us said 'which guys?' and I said the 'two black guys at the bar' (of which they were the only two) and the kid said 'Now, why do you have to say that?' (he was black as well) and I explained it was an easy way to describe it, and that if they had a huge yelloy coybow hat on I'd say 'the 2 guys with the huge yellow cowboy hat' I would think if I were at a bar where there were only two white guys at the bar you'd say 'the 2 white guys over there' right? What I'm trying to say is just mentioning race is not always a bad thing (least IMO) but making it a point to mention is; as in I would never say 'my black buddy' or something like that.

Keep posting buddy!

- Steve

 
At 3:06 PM, May 08, 2008 , Blogger M. Vass said...

Hey Steve,

I agree that there is a difference. There is a comment or statement that is racial, because it deals with race in some manner, and racism, where race is the focus without regard to the context of what is being said. The quote you use of my thoughts is where that crosses the line.

Of course there are statements that could be different depending on the situation, person making the comment and the context of the comment. Like you mention in pointing out the 2 guys at the bar it was racial because they are Black, but not racist as the intent and context was not a negative but descriptive reference.

Though I will say that it is not necessary to use the descriptor White when describing or referencing White people in America. The language and culture makes that a given. Listen carefully and you will notice that when describing Whites they are called just guys, men, women, girl, ect. But when there is a person of color a descriptor is always used first, ie that Asian guy, or Black girl, Mexican kid, ect.

Again that is not necessarily a bad thing. No one should be so sensitive as to be angry because a descriptor is used, though if all things were as equal as we would like to believe they are it wouldn't be necessary. But being aware of the difference is perhaps the first part in getting to that equality.

And I have to admit, this was a night outside of Sidelines, though there have been nights similar to this in Sidelines.

And for my readers that are wondering where I hang out. Now you know.

Thanks for reading the blogs Steve. I hope you, and all my readers, come back and comment again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates