Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Michelle Obama and Senator Edward Kennedy speeches at DNC

So the Democratic National Convention has started with some strength and emotion. There is no question that Michelle Obama had a powerful speech. Not that anyone should have expected less.

For those that missed it here is the speech she made.



No matter which candidate you might want to vote for you have to be impressed with her words.

In addition you have to say that seeing Senator Edward Kennedy at the DNC so soon after his Brain surgery was impressive. He looked relatively strong and healthy considering.

His speech was strong as well



Next up will be Senator Hillary Clinton tonight. Though how that goes is a big question and will be the real challenge since so many who were supporting her are in the wind.

Labels: , ,



Ask for ad rates

2 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, August 26, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprised that you didn't discuss, at all, the impact that Michelle's speech had on the portrayal of black families. A powerful image of an educated, strong and loving black couple, that supports each other, is not often displayed on tv and it was a historical moment for black america (especially on the anniversary of MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech). Even Juan Williams was moved by it. You weren't or is it that you don't relate? Truly powerful. Maybe, it will help restore some faith in our family unit.

 
At 1:46 AM, August 27, 2008 , Blogger M. Vass said...

Dianna,

I actually didn’t speak about it for the same reason I have not written much in the past 2 days. I sprained my shoulder, and have difficulty writing to the full extent that I would like to. As such I try to cover the most topics and important facts that I can before the pain stops me for most of the day.

When I decided to discuss Michelle Obama I felt that the best example and comment would be her own words. Too often I receive comments that denigrate African Americans, or try to highlight some media driven aspect of Black culture in the hopes of trying to prove the stereotypes true. It seems that my words and responses to comments are not enough for some to believe. For those people only the power of visually seeing the truth that African Americans are as good as anyone, and equally as diverse, that will sway them.

I think that there are many examples of powerful, successful, happy, complete Black families in politics, entertainment, and every other walk of life. I know that the major media could emphasize this fact, but chooses not to. The fact is that Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Tiger Woods, Senator Obama, and millions of other Black men and their families live positive lives does not match the medias pigeon-hole image of Black America.

So yes I was impressed. And yes I do enjoy seeing these positive images on national television. And I generally discuss issues relating to race and the media at my entertainment blog (Black Entertainment USA).

Beyond that I think you covered it well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates