Wednesday, September 24, 2008

More thoughts on the proposed $700 billion bailout

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. He too was a former stockbroker, and concerned about the bailout. He believes that the $700 billion should be approved, because we cannot let this go on for a prolonged period of time.

I was informed that Jim Cramer was on cable television discussing how this bailout must be approved lest 5 million homeowners hit the market all at once. I was informed that other stockbrokers we know are looking at the potential for the market to drop up to another 1000 points if this bailout is not approved immediately. And I was reminded that this is not a situation that will resolve itself.

My friend remembered that this problem did not start last moth, or this year, or last year. He was clear in that this is far beyond politics. That we as a nation are facing the serious potential of a depression if this is handled wrong.

But as I listened, and reflected on my previous thoughts on this issue, and all the news that has been made available I was reinforced on my opinion.

The bailout as it stands is not in the best interest of the nation. Throwing money at a problem will never resolve it. Politicians and regulators have no understanding of the depth or causes of this crisis. Had they any understanding they would have seen the problem over a year ago. In January they would have reacted properly, but they all had no clue. Giving them even a Trillion dollars will not end the problem.

The bailout is meant to be an investment for the public. But this investment currently has no established value, no terms of repayment, no system of repayment, nor any assurance that future repayment will not be needed. I have a problem with that.

Honestly this is not like getting a credit card or a loan. In both of those cases you are assuming part of the cost of those that fail to make their payments in the interest rate you pay. You are provided documentation that states how you share in that coverage. It’s a system maintained by the private business that created the system.

The bailout, as proposed, is a mortgage – for some like me a 2nd mortgage – to which we receive no benefit other than the security of knowing the financial system might continue for another day. And while my friend believe that the next President will not directly raise taxes in the wake of this bailout, I believe that must. My friend believes that we will see social programs cut, and on that I agree as well.

The next President will have to raise taxes. While I doubt they will ask for the $5,000 to $10,000 that is estimated for the bailout from each American taxpayer, I do believe that taxes will increase for everyone by 5% at least. Because of the bad decisions of some people and several businesses. And that does not take into account some of the very costly programs one of the Presidential candidates wants to implement.

I also believe that no matter what the terms of the bailout ends up as, the market will lose over 1000 points from where it is now. With the eventual return of short-stock trades, a 4th quarter for retail companies that will by abysmal, and increasing costs for crude oil and heating oil, the market will have little choice but to turn down. The picture is dire. But taking blind action is no better than inaction.

We need time to figure out what to do, and how. To determine the full cost, and how the public can be repaid. To unravel the actual valuation of these properties, and to decide how many homeowners in default will be allowed to lose their homes – because the only way some will not is in a dreamworld.

I believe that some $200 billion should be used to fill the water in the tub, and then time spent to find the actual leak. Before the 4th quarter ends we should be able to answer the big questions facing us now – how much, how long, will we be paid back, and how to get the money back.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe my friend, Cramer, and others are right. But I have to tell you that I am afraid, not of what happens if this works but what happens they are wrong.

Labels: , , ,



Ask for ad rates

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates