Monday, November 03, 2008

Picking a President doesn't make you more or less Black

I find it interesting as we come upon the 2008 election to reflect on what has occurred in this year. From the surprising Democratic Primaries up til now there has been a shift in politics that will never be undone. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime, and now I look forward to the fact that it will happen again and again.

Obviously I am speaking about Senator Obama, his rise in prominence, and the potential of his becoming the First Black President.

It’s a proud moment for every African American. Especially for those of us that have lived decades without the chance even being a glimmer in possibility. This in many ways is the culmination of the struggles of the 1960’s.

To bad that I won’t vote for him.

And that is the big thing. I have been slammed by associates, readers, and too many others on this one point. The non-acceptance of my decision to not vote for Obama has been a sledgehammer in my blogs and my personal life. You would think I was stabbing someone.

This has been a very personal election, unlike any other in my life. I’ve been questioned, insulted, disputed, and more often than not cursed. Were it not happening to me I’d even say it was sort of funny.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve been told I’m not Black. That I’ve done something wrong. That writing about the issues, and noting the problems I have with Obama’s policies is somehow a disservice to my race. I’ve even been told I’m un-American. And of course there have been more than a few racists that have misused my words and thoughts for their own twisted ends.

But tonight I was just sitting back writing and listening to my MP3 (I bought my first one just this year) and James Brown’s Say It Loud came up. I listened to the lyrics several times and then read them.



    Uh! With your bad self!

    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!
    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!

    Some people say we've got a lot of malice
    Some say it’s a lot of nerve
    But I say we won't quit moving until we get what we deserve
    We have been bucked and we have been scorned
    We have been treated bad, talked about as just bones
    But just as it takes two eyes to make a pair, ha
    Brother we can’t quit until we get our share

    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!
    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!
    One more time!
    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud!

    I worked on jobs with my feet and my hand
    But all the work I did was for the other man
    Now we demand a chance to do things for ourselves
    We're tired of beatin' our head against the wall
    And workin' for someone else

    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud

    We're people, we're just like the birds and the bees
    We'd rather die on our feet
    Than be livin' on our knees

    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud
    Say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud

I’m Black Puerto Rican and I’m Proud. I’m also insulted that I have to make such a statement because of my political beliefs.

I have worked hard, lived through fights, slurs, been denied jobs, and been homeless twice. I’ve gained an education, never been hooked on drugs, lived overseas, been part of the military, and helped more than a few on my path to where I am today. And every day I’ve lived I woke up as Black Puerto Rican as the day before. I have no illusions, and no problems with that.

But to try to discredit my lineage and birthright because of a political position is just absurd. It pisses me off.

This election is not about righting the wrongs of racism, segregation or any other race based issue past or present. Obama is not Malcolm X, Martin Luther King or any other civil rights activist. Electing Obama will not suddenly make police forces in L.A., New York, Philadelphia or anywhere in the nation treat Black, or any other racial and ethnic group, any better than the day before. And racists won’t wake up with larger minds or a better understanding of humanity.

I respect and admire Senator Obama. He’s accomplished things I wouldn’t try to do. The fear of being murdered, especially before I could enact positive change on some issues is too strong in me. He is going for it anyway and that takes balls.

But that does not mean I must follow blindly and accept his every word and policy as best because he said so. His path was no less difficult or extraordinary than my own, and that of millions of other non- and White Americans. As such he is subject to the same critique as anyone. In fact I would consider myself much less of a man, and less of a Black Puerto Rican, if I did not judge him in the same way I would anyone else.

Listen to that song. James Brown didn’t ask for any corners cut. He didn’t demand obedience to a color, in fact he demands the opposite. He demands that we empower ourselves and live by the standards we create. That everyone that meets us shows the same respect and dignity that we exemplify individually and as a group.

And when I have lived a life of just that, how dare anyone try to denigrate me for that.

Obviously I am speaking about a few people. Many have sound reasons for believing in Obama. Many never considered race and they came to a separate decision than mine. And I respect that.

But that’s not who I am talking about.

I’m talking about the people that loved me when I supported Senator Obama over Senator Clinton in the Democratic Primaries. They also ignored my support of Fred Thompson and Senator McCain at the time. They ignored my strong Republican views. They only saw my race and that of Obama. Some where White, and some where not.

It’s those same people that have abandoned my blogs, or attacked them since. And I have to wonder how they came to see me as any less of a man, no matter my color.

When America comes to a point where race is more important than the man or the message, the nation is in trouble. Just as the nation was falling in the late 50’s and 60’s the same threat still exists. And when that same color-focused blinders are on and any deviation is attacked we return to the same dangers that existed a mere 40 years ago.

Maybe I’ve followed this election for too many years, been too involved in trying to cover the facts that too few have the time to see. Maybe I’m up to late every night and day for you my readers. Maybe I need a vacation as my skin is getting a bit thin.

So yes I’m venting. But as that may be, I’ll get some sleep and be back at it tomorrow like I have for years now. I hope to see you all then.

Labels: , , , , , , ,



Ask for ad rates

3 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, November 04, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT was very well written. Bravo!! I find it very sad that people can't just respect other people's opinions. For people to play the race card with you on this issue is just ludicrous. You and I do not agree on politics, but I hold you in the highest respect. Your political views have nothing to do with the wonderful man you are. I'm sorry that some people are too ignorant to see that. I'm sorry that some of those ignorants feel the need to call names. I'm also sorry that there was even a need for you to have to write this. Keep up the good work. Some of us really enjoy read your blogs and I have learned a few things from them. Thank you for helping to educate those of us who still have an open mind and don't judge.

Cathy M.

 
At 1:41 PM, November 04, 2008 , Blogger M. Vass said...

As found at Black and White Blog, where I am co-author.

LC Says:
November 4th, 2008 at 12:19 pm e
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you Michael for putting my own feelings and thoughts into something that makes sense.

 
At 1:42 PM, November 04, 2008 , Blogger M. Vass said...

Thank you Cathy and LC.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates