Monday, February 09, 2009

The new Gov. of New Mexico - Val Kilmer?

Well here is a really scary thought. Actors as politicians. Often the thought terrifies me. I was brought to this fearful contemplation when I heard that Val Kilmer is potentially planning to run for Governor of New Mexico in 2010.

Now to be fair, there have been several actors that have gone into politics and done quite well. The list includes: Fred Thompson (actually he was a politician first), Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood, Sonny Bono, Shirley Temple Black, Fred Grandy, Jerry Springer (actually a politician first as well – still a surprise to most though), Jesse Ventura, and most famously Ronald Regan.

And to my knowledge the most successful of the thespians turned politicians, in America at least, have all been Republicans. Funny considering that most in Hollywood are Democrats, and incredibly liberal. Or not so funny if you think about it.

But when I think of an actor jumping into politics I always have the same group of thoughts. They are even better trained liars than the usual polispeak of professional politicians. They often have agendas that are less clearly known. They can capture a huge base of support solely because people are familiar with their face. And they can capitalize on a public image that may in fact have nothing to do with their actual political views.

Photo found at http://www.flixster.com/news/2008/07/03/val-kilmer-pulls-the-silver-cord

Taking Val Kilmer as an example. He is a registered Democrat. Until this moment I had no idea, and less concern. I liked him in Top Gun, Real Genius, Top Secret, and Heat. None of which I expect are his true persona. He is involved in animal rescue, but there is no connection to PETA. He donated to Ralph Nader’s run for President, and has stated he voted for President Obama.

None of this makes me believe anything more about him than I did before. None of this makes me understand how he is qualified to run for the Governorship of any state. But it assures me that if he were to run he would be a media hotspot.

Politics is something every American should be aware of. We all should be involved to some degree, as every decision made affects us all. And the people we elect to office should be dedicated to that purpose. But celebrity can often subvert that.

I don’t know Val Kilmer personally. I am not questioning him on a personal level. But if he chooses to run for public office I believe that he should be very clear in exactly where he stand on his politics, and exactly what he believe that he can do to improve the lives of his potential constituents.

I would love to hear what he believes qualifies him for the position. And I will be the first to say, that if he can prove he is more than a famous personality, he deserves every chance at the position. But if he cannot, then he should never run. Because all he will do is divert attention from real issues and policy, thus preventing the people of New Mexico – and in a manner all Americans – from gaining the best choice for the position.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,



Ask for ad rates

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates