Friday, January 02, 2009

Gold, oil, stocks, Democrats and 2009

Last year I was looking at the gold markets and speculated that gold would surge along with several of the gold stocks. On December 6, 2007 I rebuffed the claims of Goldman Sachs when they stated to sell gold. At the time the spot price was $855.

In January of 2008 I pointed out a few gold stocks:

  • Streettrack Gold Trust
  • Barrick Gold Corp.
  • Agnico Eagle Mines Ltd.
  • Goldcorp Inc
  • Western Goldfields Inc
  • Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd
  • Alamos Gold Inc
  • Anatolia Minerals Development Ltd
  • European Goldfields Ltd


- each of which was soaring. At the same time I was pointing out my belief of what would happen to gold spot prices, oil, and the Dow Jones Index.

"All stock markets, all financial markets, move on emotion first. That’s given. And few things are more emotional that 1.25 basis point moves by the Fed in a week. But fundamental facts of the markets always come to fore and correct the emotion. To me, $1000 gold, and higher gold stocks across the world, is as fundamentally sound today as when I discussed it earlier this month and in December of 2007."


Which lead me to state

"Now I will go one step better. If supply remains constrained, as we can see is likely, and the U.S. economy has the mild recession now being stated by the Federal Reserve. If oil production is cut, in combination with the recent U.S. refinery accident that has placed pressure on capacity, and Senator Barack Obama becomes the Democratic nominee for the President of the United States. If all those actions occur, which seem 80% probable to me at this time, then I believe that gold spot prices in excess of $1125 are possible by the end of this year. Commensurate with this move should be gains among the gold mining stocks across the world."


How close did I get? $1035. Close enough for me and many others. And then gold drifted down. The power outages in South Africa were resolved, oil prices peaked and then dropped. The world was consumed with the problems of the mortgage bailout and then the credit crisis. Major financial institutions failed and/or were on the brink of collapse as politicians (like Barney Frank), The Fed, and the Secretary of Treasury all scurried around like rats on a sinking ship.

Now we have entered 2009 with several important facts known. Interest rates are at all-time lows, the mortgage crisis has yet to be abated, oil is on the rise again - albeit from lower levels than seen in recent years. The American economy is leading the world into a depression, and at our helm is a new inexperienced highly liberal Democrat. None of these things are positives.

The American Government is about to spend even more money than all of 2008 combined, with a Democrat-led Congress that has no desire to reign in the Democrat President. Both his policies as stated and his indicated primary goals are wastes of money on a grand scale few countries could ever command as their GDP.

Thus we are seeing gold sit at $879, the Dow at 9034. That's just about 2000 points lower than my initial expectations for 2008, but above the lows of the year - barely. What will happen next?

In a move much like what was seen in 2008 we will see gold and gold stocks rise. I again call for gold spot prices to hit $1125, with gold stocks reaching new 52 week highs. This will likely be coupled with a reduction in oil production, increases in crude oil prices (to a high of around $105 a barrel again), an ethanol glut, higher energy costs, increase home losses, the failure of more financial institutions, the bankruptcy of at least 1 major auto company, and higher unemployment.

The new stimulus plan envisioned by President Obama, some $850 billion dollars (about 5x the Bush stimulus), will stabilize investor fears and consumer confidence for 1 quarter. Then the resulting fact that most of the money was spent on mortgages, credit cards, bills, or placed into bank accounts and mattresses will be seen. And the economy will drop again. The stock market will drop to about 7600 - as I stated in 2008. The bear will roar.

Gold and gold stocks will be one of a few places investors and those that fear financial institutions will run to. Crude oil will be another. Demand will outweigh supply, and emotion will propel prices ahead of that. For 9 months of the year the economy will be abysmal.

If I am as correct as I was in 2008, then my expectation for gold will be in excess of 90% correct. In terms of the Dow I am being overly generous, if my past predictions are accurate. And Crude oil will likely exceed and then under-perform my belief.

While many will feel my thoughts are overstated, as they did and were partially correct in 2008, I believe that the overall outlook is less stable than in 2008. Politics internationally are as bad with Israel and Palestine trading rockets and Iran moving forward on creating nuclear weapons. Fewer banks are making loans, and fewer people and businesses are qualified to get them. Democratic spending is looking to increase the national debt to levels unseen, without any real expectation of improvement. Government interference with private business is greater than ever before - with the Government consistently proving it has no clue on how to run anything.

It is quite early in the new year. Our new President has yet to be sworn in. Much in the world is in flux. So I hope to be wrong, I hope very wrong, in what I am predicting. But I believe that at the end of this new year I will be no less than 60% correct. How you act on that is up to you.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,



Ask for ad rates

4 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, January 06, 2009 , Blogger M. Vass said...

This comment is found at aapoliticalopinion.blogspot.com where I am a contributing author.

Leon Basin said...
I really liked this post. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:49 PM, May 11, 2009 , Blogger M. Vass said...

This comment can be found at Gold Stocks Blog, where I am a contributing author.

where is gold found Says:
January 6th, 2009 at 6:40 pm e
Thank you for your thoughtful article. The only thing is I don’t know what will come first continue deflation from banks not creating new money or massive inflation from all the bailouts. No matter my guess is in the long run it will be inflation because of the derivative market.

 
At 2:49 PM, May 11, 2009 , Blogger M. Vass said...

This comment can be found at Gold Stocks Blog, where I am a contributing author.

Paul J Says:
March 10th, 2009 at 12:45 pm e
Great predictions, you obviously understand our situation very well. If only people like you were in charge.

 
At 2:50 PM, May 11, 2009 , Blogger M. Vass said...

This comment can be found at Gold Stocks Blog, where I am a contributing author.

Melvin Says:
March 17th, 2009 at 1:14 am e
Early in 2008, I changed my investment portfolio and switch all my high-risk mutual funds to a gold based mutual fund of which some of the gold companies you listed above are my fund.

My friends and my investment adviser said that was a very poor move. Indeed, my fund price dropped 35% because the market seemed stable and the market turmoil would heal.

Fast forward another 9 months and the landscape looks very different. We have now seen the markets go through a complete meltdown and my gold-backed mutual is doing incredibly well, amidst the market conditions we’re in.

I found your post while researching for more options of investing in gold and it is funny to see that I’m not the only one sitting in the same mindset months ago.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates