Monday, January 09, 2006

Black Republicans Exist

There I said it. The myth held by far too many, especially democrats, can now die. The reason I bring this up is that this is an election year of note. Many seats are up in Congress, various govenorships are in contest and front-runners for the 2008 presidential elections are starting to jockey for position. So the question is who are these black republicans? I and several of my friends are republicans. There are many others as well. Some of the more famous Black republicans include Mr. J.C. Watts, Mr. Dwayne Johnson (also known as The Rock), Mr. Wilt Chaimberlain, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, Mr. Ernie Banks, Mr. James Brown and Prince (yes I count donations as implied membership though on this I could be wrong) among many others.

It seems that another prominent republican, Lynn Swann, has thrown his hat in to run for Govenor of Pennsylvania. Why are there such prominent and respected [I recognize their choices and influence, not necessarily their work ie. rappers] Black African Americans in the Republican Party? As Mr. Swann states Democrats have "taken the African-American vote for granted." That is not a light statement. Popular thought is that the Black vote has always sided with Democrats. The truth is that since the right to vote was granted until roughly the mid-60's Black African Americans voted Republican. As the generations passed the youth assumed that voting had always gone the same way, and Democrats made every effort to keep that thought alive.

And why shouldn't my friends and I, as well as those mentioned above and others, be Republican? Unless someone can show me differently, the belief that you keep what you earn, and that government should not choose how to spend your money, and that the need to work for a wage are all Republican ideals. Are Republicans by and large conservative, sure. So are many in the Armed Forces, those raising families, ect. Religion is a seperate issue, one that is personal and has no place in politics to me. Yet if you are a Black American and say that you are a republican you can expect evil stares and hisses. I mean that literally as it has happened to me on several occassions.

What have the Democrats done to earn the Black African American vote? What has been done in recent years that earns such devotion? The Democratic choice of President candidate in 2004, Sen. John Kerry, continues to seek support and rally individuals to the cause. Of course that is if he can overcome the "image as a Northeast liberal with fuzzy views on major issues like Iraq." My thoughts on the other big name for Democrats, Sen. Hilary Clinton, can be seen in my posts Politics for elections, Vass thoughts on Senator Clinton. I think I need to say no more on that. What about the former-President Mr. Bill Clinton? He seems like a nice man, and I would love the chance to speak with him on various topics, and he is regarded highly by many inner city Black African Americans (by my understanding). With all due respect, what did his administration do? In effect there were no net gains by his administration, and the aftermath was the stockmarket crash and wars in Afganistan and Iraq.

I realize that terrorist actions cannot be placed on a seperate entity, but the fact that the CIA and other U.S. institutions failed to recognize the threat during his administration is. The fact that, against the protests of Mr. Alan Greenspan, nothing was done to slow the markets is a truth of his administration. The fact that during his administration the government authorized spending based on monetary gains of U.S. citizens from the stock market, in the future, is also to be noted.

So again I say, why is being a Black African American Republican a taboo? Don't look at the political parties as a blanket. When President Bush is wrong, or does something I disagree with such as Patriot Act and Politics, I speak on it. That doesn't change the fact that the overall ideals and actions of republicans in my voting lifetime are better than those of democrats.

Consider this as politicians try to buy your vote [speaches, displays of faith, and non-debate orientated television debates are attempts to buy votes cheaply to me]. Remember this as they do or do not address issues that matter to you. Note this when they detail what their plans are for the issues you care about. Then go vote.

This is what I think, what do you think?



Ask for ad rates

1 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, February 14, 2006 , Blogger Suzanne said...

Kudos to you for standing up and saying so. Again, we agree, unfortunately in California, and more specifically, Los Angeles where I am surrounded by successful African Americans, the "black = democrat" idea is soooo prevalent. I ask them, "what have democrats done for black people in the last 20-30 years?" I mean EVERYBODY loves Bill Clinton, even with the Lewinsky transgression, but HE LET THE TRAGIC GENOCIDE IN RWANDA OCCUR. Anyone seen the movies "Hotel Rwanda" or "Sometimes in April"?........But you know, he must love black folk 'cause he chose Harlem over Manhattan. (phewy)

Our society has become so rude. Our journalists criticize and poke fun at the President of the United States (because he is a Republican I dare say?) the highest office of public power in the world....where is the respect? Disagree with him, fine, okay, debate is acceptable, but to be so ill-mannered and viscious because of someone's political affiliation is just plain ignorant and low-class. I know your momma's taught you better than that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates