Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Italian courts, Moorish history and the World

I ran across this article today and I am both stunned and not sure of how to say what I am thinking. The article "Dirty negro" insult not always racist? comes from Rome, and a ruling made by their courts. I am confused by the court's decision, and to make things simple I will translate the situation to the U.S.

A group of white men called a group of black/hispanic women "Dirty negroes -- what are these negroes doing here?" The men then proceed to punch the women. When the case goes to court one of the men says that his words were not racist. The court agrees with him. What do you think would happen in the U.S.?

How the Italian court could say this was a case of "generic dislike, intolerance or rejection based on race, ethnicity or religion" and not "discriminatory behavior for reasons of race, ethnicity, nationality or religion" or "only if it is motivated by real hatred" is beyond me. To verbally assault someone, on the basis of only their color, and then to follow that with a physical assault seems stronger than a mere generic dislike to me. What other motivation is happening here if not motivated by hatred, which the statement made by the men seems to exude?

If someone were to go through Italy, and tell each italian that "your great-great-great-granddaddy was black, go back to Africa" and then proceeded to hit them... The Italian courts would seem to have to find in favor under the above ruling, but I doubt it. In the U.S. lock-up under various charges including racism would happen in a moment. And the fact that the 'grandaddy' statement is based in truth would not matter.

As a side note, many Italians to my experience and knowledge (abroad and in the U.S.) find that any reference to the period of time from roughly 831 - 1061 to be offensive. It was during that time, at least, where the Moors had control of Sicily and major influence in southern Italy [as well as virtually all of Spain]. The fact that interracial marriages and offspring occured and are in the bloodlines of Italy, Spain and other parts of Europe is seen as inciteful. I don't understand why, especially when viewed against the European/American White colonial culture of intermixing with Native Indians, South American Indians, North Africans, African slaves and Middle Easterners. A supposition could be that in the latter the upper hand was held by the Caucasians, as opposed to the Moors having it.

Back to the matter at hand. How can a second-world nation, with diversity and cultural history, and the physical spiritual center of a world religion that calls for inclusion, compassion and understanding, be so seemingly dense? A nation that rose up against Il Duce, Benito Mussolini, and facsism. One would expect better of them.

This ruling, in conjunction with the sexual harrassment issues (mentioned in the same article) and recent behavior at Soccer matches leads one to wonder what is going on in Italy. It seems the ghosts of the past, or perhaps and worse yet visions of a future are peeking at us. With the world growing smaller everyday, due to internet/telecommunications/faster travel, what happens in one place on the globe quickly affects the rest.

This is what I think, how about you?



Ask for ad rates

5 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, February 20, 2008 , Blogger Unknown said...

Unfortunately, this type of situation even happens in the US. The recent Jena Six situation in Louisiana is proof of that. White students hung a noose from a tree that they deemed white only, and was offended because a black student sat under the tree. These white students later beat up a black student. A day later some black students retaliated. The white students were slapped on the wrist and given probation. The black students were arrested and one in particular was initially sentenced to 22 years in prison on an attempted murder conviction for the 'same crime'.

Conditioning has caused this type of poisonous thinking that pollutes our society today. The effect that the Moors of old had on European and other nations has generated an everlasting fear and therefore, hatred for those referred to as 'black people'. Just think, the existence of an entire nation and all of what they have contributed to society and the world has been credited to Arab, Indian and Asian cultures or erased altogether.

Here's the more important question: What is it about the 'true Moors', commonly referred to as African, African American, Black, Jamaican, Haitian, etc., that many nations, especially European, hate so much? "What did the Moors do" to generate such hate and distrust amongst other nations of the world?

Signed,

A True Moor

 
At 5:10 PM, January 25, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Italian-American. I lived in Italy for a few years. When I lived in an Italian neighborhood in NY I had no doubt as to who I was. As I left those confines my identity has been called into question. When I encounter people I have no idea what they are thinking. Hispanics gravitate toward me and speak Spanish. Blacks have told me "I know a brother when I see one", or "you're a Puerto Rican trying to be different". I have been asked if I am Creole, mixed, white, black, Samoan, you name it. I have had white people see me and asy "a salam alaikum". In college Itranian guys would speak Farsi to me. In Puerto Rico they ask me if I am from there. The stories are endless.

Now to the crux of the matter. Most (not all) Northern Italians are Latins mixed with French, Germanic, Austrian, and Celtic ancestry. Most (not all) Southern Italians are Latins mixed with Greek, Middle Eastern, North African, and Spanish ancestry.

For many years since the reunification of Italy in the 1860s, there has been friction, and charges of racism from the North towards the South.

Currently many Africans and Eastern Europeans find passage to Europe via Italy (especially the island of Lampedusa). Sort of their version of Cubans heading to Miami. This also has created friction especially in times of higher unemployment and inflation.

So, I can't justify or explain the racism, just offer a little perspective. I can just tell you that it exists. Even so, my personal experiences in Italy have been positive and the people I encountered were for the most part the salt of the earth.

Now to the question 'what did the Moors do?'. Your assessment about one group having the upper hand is astute.

Before there was black slavery in the Americas there was white slavery in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East. The Moors had the upper hand in Sicily, parts of Southern Italy and most of Spain and some of France for centuries. The oldest universities in Europe (Bologna, Oxford, others) were founded due to Moorish eduation systems and books.

The Moorish and Arab pirates raided Spain, Italy, and parts or Europe and took millions into slavery prior to 1492. So much so that the complexion of the Maghrib region of North Africa changed to what it is today due to the intermixture of races.

Most of this Western civilization history gets swept under the rug. We should get real and tell the whole story.

Personally, I never refer to myself as white, just Italian. I would be shocked to learn I did not have black ancestry. I embrace our Moorish past.

 
At 12:59 PM, September 25, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

I have a very similar experience as the person who posted above. I was adopted in southern Illinois and I was originally promised to a Caucasian couple before I was born. Once I entered the world with a less than pink complexion and ethnic facial features the couple declined my adoption. The adoption agency then reclassified me as African American. I was adopted by an African American couple shortly after. Recently I have discovered through DNA testing that I am not African American at all, but instead most of my DNA is found in primarily in Emilia Romagna Italy, Norway, Spain, and Sicily. The first African country to appear in my ancestry is Tunisia (a.k.a Carthage) Now because of the culture in which I was raised I still get challenged by people when I identify as being an Italian American although science has proven I do no have African American ancestry. There have been times where I have had to actually give examples of Italians such as Michela Musolino as proof that not all Italians look like Stallone. Although I am Italian, white society in midwest America has done an excellent job of telling me that I am like them.

 
At 1:16 PM, September 25, 2009 , Blogger M. Vass said...

Scotty,

The thing that stikes me most about what you describe is how blatant the U.S. remains.

It doesn't matter if you are or are not Black or Italian. The fact is you are being judged by the color of your skin.

Perhaps you have a perspective that many do not. That ANY person of color in America is treated in a manner that White Americans cannot appreciate, and generally deny exists any more.

It just makes me upset, and firms my resolve on the issues I fight against, when I hear of things like this.

 
At 11:13 AM, December 28, 2009 , Blogger MICHELLE said...

My father just informed me at Christmas dinner that we are of the Moor decent. So after the shock, as I am 47 yrs old and just now learning my heritage? Then thought about my Italian Family, not acknowlegeing my daughter who is african american, native american, and now moor/italian. Thank you for this article. We all need to wake up, this is near 2010, time to find out our bloodlines, accept each individual as they are, and stop the judgement and mistreatment of our brothers and sisters in GOD.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates