Friday, December 16, 2005

History in America

"History is the story of the winners," I'm not sure who stated that quote but truer words are rarely said. Equally as true is this statement made by Mr. Morgan Freeman "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

Those 2 statment sum up so much for me. It also brings back a question I had in high school, why did black history basically take up one paragraph and a reference to Crispus Attucks and nothing more? My youngest sister (14 years my junior) had a history book that had the equivalent of 1 page, and this is after the strides to make American history more reflective of all the peoples responsible for the creation of this great nation. One page, with little to no mention of who created the number system that is used today [Arabs whom are black or under the classification I learned years ago as being Asian, Causasian, Negroid and Native Indians such as Eskimos] or what is sub-Saharan Africa, or who created the Jenny Coupler, automatic refrigeration system for long-haul trucks, treat ments for glaucoma and rheumatoid arthritis. Or who people like Granville T. Woods were.

The promotion of misconcepts too, such as Egyptians and those above the Sahara all being white and only those from below being black. Or that the reason for the Civil War was due to slavey [it was an economic decision - the U.S. was an agricultural-based economy then and if I recall correctly the south had more people - Slavery was about 4th on the list or lower].

Why is it that the history of Blacks in America is so incomplete? Who was it that thought that the concept of celebrating the shortest month of the year for Black history is enough and nothing else really need be done? Why did (and perhaps we still do, someone let me know) we teach about WW II, the Marines at Iwo Jima, and what happened to the Jews, but can't mention the breakthroughs of Black pilots in that war? Or how about what were black people doing in this nation after slavery but before the Civil Rights movement and Martin Luther King or Malcolm X? Obviously the list of inventions and inventors mentioned above give some clue that alot was happening.

Obviously alot needs to be left out if we want anyone to get more out of an education than just the history of this nation, as many peoples have helped to create the nation we live in today. That does not excuse the blatant slap in the face given to the millions who have bled for this country, both in war and in building this nation during peace. I don't need a seperate history or a month of sporadic commercials to remind me that my ancestors were here. My ancestors earned the right for me to be told the U.S. history, a history that includes them.

Just a few of the thoughts that the statement by Mr. Morgan Freeman makes me think of. What do you think?

Labels: , , , , , , ,



Ask for ad rates

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, December 21, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you AJH for your thoughts on my post. I must confess that I was born and raised in NYC and like many have little knowledge of the slavery that occured in the North. Beyond the active sale of slaves I have heard little. The exhibit by the New-York Historical Society sounds quite interesting.

I also think that many are misinformed about the past. Due to 'revisioning' actions in the past with modern sensitivies. Things like the 14th Ammendment are seen as a reason why things happened, when in fact they were only minor issues (relatively). An example of this is President Lincoln's comments to the New York Tribune, after the Emancipation Proclimation had been written but before it was announced, "I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer "the Union will be the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.
I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."


The romanticized, or politicized if you wish, rememberance of the past has clouded many facts about the past. The 'absense' of slavery in the North is a great example as well. These are the kinds of things we need to have presented in their true light. Honest information leads to clear and full understanding, nothing less.

If there must be a Black history month, which I do not think there needs to be if honest unfiltered information is disseminated, then it should be there to express the truth and removing ambiguity or misconcepts that have evolved over time.

Again AJH, I thank you for your time to read and comment. I hope you enjoy future posts, both here and on my www.BlackEntertainmentBlog.com .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates