Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Duke allegations part 3

Continued from part 2...

Perhaps I digress a bit. But as I said this is a subject that goes far beyond the case that has refocused the attention of the nation. There are multiple items this touches upon. One less spoken about is the cost of higher education. The fact that 11% of the Duke campus is Black African American, and 30% all minorities, is commendable. But the reality for millions is that $42,000 a year is far too much even if they have the grades to attend. And many, like this mother of 2, work to help pay the tuition. And anyone that faults the jobs taken is a snob and foolish in my world. I recall working through out my time in college, usually 3 jobs, many of those jobs were low end menial work. As my father once told me, “If you do a days work and get a days pay you can keep you head held up high in front of anyone proudly, no matter the job.” And I am proud to have done them and the education they provided me. If I were a woman I’m sure I’d consider stripping. It pays VERY well. It can be harmless to all involved, except when they have what I call a mental imbalance like the above mentioned McFadyen and friends - drunk or not. There are pitfalls, and people make bad judgement decisions, yet that should not be an excuse for actions like the ones alleged at this party.

And we should also realize that the media is playing both sides of this. Like most racial cases there is an opinion being promoted. Like the OJ trials, where a rich man used the best lawyers he could afford to defend himself, and police officers (or at least Mr. Furman) manipulated evidence. Yet the media screamed guilt though we are supposed to be presumed innocent. Or the case of Mr. Daryl Littlejohn. And I look at how the media downplayed the Bensonhurst murder, or Chapaquidiq (I know the spelling is wrong) or the beating of Mr. Rodney King. These are not extremes, and they are relevant. In cases of racial tension the media always picks a side. In every case I can recall, where a Black and White American is involved, the media has always sided with the White American. What does that say? Don’t make responses saying ‘well there was this one case where that wasn’t true’ ... I’m sure there is 1 for every 10 that do go as I have just mentioned.

When you look at all these factors, and there are more than I have mentioned, it tell me something. We have failed. As parents our children are not learning basic beliefs that should be there along with learning the ABC’s and toilet training. As a nation we are failing our neighbors, supporting and vindicating a biased legal system, and placing political goals ahead of common sense. As a legacy we tainted ourselves and continue to allow that to poison our future by hiding from the truth that was part and parcel of the growth and strength of our nation. Cases like this one at Duke only reminds us of the real problems we face. Until we address each issue we will continue to suffer from their effects.

But until that day, the guilty should be punished. Courts and law should be the only places to be tried. And victims should not have their innocence, lifestyle, profession or race used as an excuse for crimes done to them. The United States of America is the greatest nation on the earth at this time, not because of our military strength but our freedoms and law and justice. Occasionally people should remember that.

This is what I think, what do you think.



Ask for ad rates

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates