Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The health of this Puerto Rican Black African American

Time for a completely different thought. I've spoken about many things in this blog, from politics to world events and more. One thing I have rarely spoken about is myself. Well here is a bit about me.

I recently had a medical physical. Nothing serious, I tend to take one each year. But it is something that is important. As a Puerto Rican Black African American male I know that prostate cancer and testicular cancer are major killers. Beyond that heart attacks often kill many men, especially those of minority backgrounds, because there was no early warnings. In my family diabetes is also a factor, as my father had adult onset diabetes.

Many Black African American men suffer from some or all of the above and have no idea. Cancer is survivable. My father beat cancer of the tongue (found mostly in smokers) that had started to get into the lymphnodes. He was lucky that a dentist noticed something on his tongue. Like my father I too tend to avoid doctors unless there is something seriously off. That of course is a horrible way to look at prevention or treatment.

While many today are unlike me in that they have children, they are also unlike me in that they do not get regular checkups. It is important. One of my best friends, of 30+ years, lost his father to prostate cancer. And a check up is far less expensive than medical treatment or surgery. Plus the world today is not as innnocent or forgiving as in my youth. Aids and various STD's exist in large numbers. To not get checked is a risk to you and your significant other.

As for me, I check for cancer, diabetes, aids, testicular and (yes I'm that old now) prostate cancer. Not fun but at least I know that all the bases are covered. It's the responsible thing to do, even though my heart rate (sitting) is 66, and my blood pressure is 120/70 while I maintain a slender build. I'm in good shape for a man of my age and in very good shape considering I excersice far less than I should. Still clogged arteries don't care how you look or what size body you have.

Basically if you haven't been to the doctor, go. If you have get check ups on a regular basis. And if you have a need or family history that suggests you should be checked more often do it. It could be the best money you ever spend. Think of it like car insurance, you pay for something you hope to never use.

Just a thought from me to you.



Ask for ad rates

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates