Thursday, June 22, 2006

What is a Black African Hispanic American supposed to think?

Well I had quite the night. Out in the depths of the vast wastes of Binghamton I was enjoying a scotch (glenlivet 12 year old because they don’t carry the 21 yr old) when 3 21 yr old women entered the bar. Now there were a couple of people in the bar at the time, all in their 40's +. I was eating a meal at the time along with me drink. Like everyone else in the bar I was observing the ladies as they were having a drink. The ladies had just finish a jog. Then the next thing that happened is a lady, white and roughly 50, warned me to watch out.

When I asked “Watch out for what”, I got the vague answer of ‘Well things are different now, and I won’t tell you what to do, but watch out for those girls”. I asked if one of them was checking me out, which to my knowledge was not happening. She responded no. After several requests to tell me what to watch out for I finally got the answer “You don’t know what money or power some of these girls have behind them.”

So what the hell was that supposed to mean. It just seemed that this line of statements were aimed at my race. There was no reason for me to watch out. The girls, in jogging clothes, were young and not physically imposing. I was the only Black African American in the place, and the only one the warning was given to. I was not staring at the ladies, and observed them as they were loud and 21 like everyone else in the bar did. The warning was directed to me only. The ladies had no weapons, nor anywhere to conceal one. While the ladies in question were boisterous they were hardly beligerent. They posed about as much of a physical threat as watching cable tv, at least in my opinion.

Perhaps the fact that I have lived in major cities (NYC, Moscow, LA and others), or the fact that the woman providing the warning never lived outside Binghamton metro area (population about 200,000), influenced the perception of danger. But several hours later I still do not know what I was supposed to watch out for. Other than the latent fear that as a single (I am, and have no rings) Black African American male that is not ugly and looks younger than I am, I may attract these, at least one of these, young (too young) white girls.

Perhaps I am missing something. Someone tell me if I am. I don’t get it. I had said nothing to the ladies. I had said nothing to the woman. I was eating food and having a drink. That was it. The comment to me was unprovoked and never explained fully or in a manner I could understand. How would you feel if this was you. I can’t wait to hear the answers.

This is what I think, what do you think?



Ask for ad rates

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates