Friday, September 15, 2006

Hispanics, and higher education

I was reading an article recently [Hispanics Have Unique Cancer 'Profile'] when I noticed something. Why is it that in various documents from the government Hispanics are compared to non-Hispanic whites? I’m Hispanic (Black African American and Puerto Rican) but the government classified me African American, so does my doctor. Mexicans, Cubans, Brazilians, Ecuadorians and dozens of others are ‘Hispanic’ and many are not light skinned enough to be white. I also know many of all the Hispanic groups that are white skinned, including parts of my family. But none of them are white either.

In fact the only ‘white’ Hispanics I know of are Spaniards from Spain. Of course anyone who has paid attention to medieval history is aware that the Moors controlled Spain for 100+ years. The Moors were from Africa, need I say more? But I’ll take Spaniards as a given regardless. So who else are these Hispanic whites the government is referring to me not being? I just find that whole category annoying, but perhaps it’s just my ignorance on the subject.

By the way, the term Hispanic is dumb and misleading. It is derived from the word Hispania – an old word used to describe Spain. While the old Spanish did do a lot of ‘getting to know the natives’ (or ‘bringing them civilization/Christianity’ whichever you prefer) the native peoples/Indians of the various areas are as much part of the equation as Spain. Why such a term is used I do not know. It’s like the term Latino, which is better applied to Italian since Latin came from the Ancient Romans. While it is a pet peeve, it does annoy me that a more fairly descriptive term was never used. And why would it be a bad thing to call me a Black African American Taino Indian.

As for the above-mentioned article, read it and look at my post The health of this Puerto Rican Black African American. “If you don’t have your health what have you got?” (Bonus for those that know where that quote is from – hint, it’s a movie)

Another interesting article [Rising college fees will cost us in time] is one that hits home. I can definitely attest to the fact that college tuition has been raising since 1986. I recall the increase at Rutgers University; that would ‘only’ cause 11% of the student body to no longer be capable of affording the college as the school board of directors said. Not a big deal if you can afford it I suppose, I for one could not. And that was after taking into account the fact I maintained 3 part-time jobs while going to school.

Higher education has always been difficult to attain for minority students, especially those that are Black African American and Hispanic. Between less support from a family with lower incomes, less disposable income, fewer homes or assets, more difficult social backgrounds, worse elementary through high school systems and other factors – getting to college is hard enough. Of course that is a blanket statement, some of those factors apply to some people others don’t. But they do exist in abundance to many.

So with that said it’s no surprise that America is again becoming an elitist society in terms of education. One based on those with better education, and thus generally better pay, and those without. Not a new revelation, it has been happening since well before the 1980’s. It’s just far more apparent with the advances in technology in the last 20 years.

But that does not mean that higher education is impossible. Nor that anyone should give up. Some education is better than none. Such was true for me. It doesn’t mean that we should open up the colleges to everyone either. There should be some challenge, it makes the journey worthwhile. Making it attainable is a challenge; letting tuition prices continue on this path makes it a dream.

This is what I think, what do you think?

Labels: , , , ,



Ask for ad rates

2 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, September 16, 2006 , Blogger M. Vass said...

Keith,

Thank you for commenting. Let me try to clarify what I mean. I did not mean to say that there are no light skinned Hispanics. I have sisters that are quite pale, as I mentioned in my post, and I do realize that Hispanics from various nations can be multiple shades.

I've heard the term used to describe Hispanics as being 'the bronze people'. I kind of like that term. But in fact if you are Hispanic then you are neither black nor white. [This is of course not the scientific breakdown. According to science there are only 4 types of human - caucasian, negroid, asian, and indigenous peoples or native indians. Governments and society break things down further for no really good reason except to seperate people.] I am not Black African American, in a manner of thought, though I am perceived and have been culturally raised (predominantly) African American.

But this just shows how silly the classification is. A Cuban is Hispanic, no matter the shade of skin color. Castro is not white, that is a cultural and societal way of identifying with. I'd say the same of your grandfather. I say the same of my family.

But do not misunderstand, I recognize and love both parts of my heritage. I feel I'm equally African American and Puerto Rican.

The fact that according to the government there is a difference among Hispanics based solely on the shade of their skin is ludicrous. That governmental seperation comes from and is reinforced by society. That is why you would say I am obviously a black man. In fact if you look closely you will see that I have several features that are distinctly Hispanic. Perhaps that is not the best photo.

Overall though I think this explains what I mean. A light-skinned black is still black, a dark-skinned white is white. In that same manner there is no difference in Hispanics or Asians.

To create a difference, as society has done is where the problems start. Those differences are where injustice festers. And once people are seperated in such a superficial manner things just get more divisive.

I hope I clarified what I mean. And again, thank you for commenting. I do enjoy hearing from my readers.

 
At 4:49 AM, October 28, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this whole discussion is obsolete in the sense that current genetic research proves that all human beings on the planet Earth are the descendants of the first humans who originated in Africa. We evolved to meet the requirements of our environments. Dark skin for hot climates, light skin for colder climates. That is all. We are all the same family of humans and need to stop these idiotic discussions on differences as they are artificially constructed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Ask for ad rates